Co-Authoring Your Life with Your Inner Wisdom: An Anusara® Yoga Retreat to Ancient Luang Prabang with Bo and Shirley Srey, Oct 12 - 17
Anusara® Yoga Retreat to Ancient Luang Prabang with Bo and Shirley Srey
Co-Authoring Your Life with Your Inner Wisdom
Sanakeo Boutique Hotel & Spa, Luang Prabang, Laos
Saturday - Thursday, October 12 - 17, 2019
Imagine your body as the cover of a great novel whose pages, your life story, have been co-authored by family, teachers, friends and society at-large. Has it been a good read so far? Has it been a fulfilling adventure? Could it be enhanced to create more adventure, joy and/or peace in your life? Join us for this Wisdom Authorship Retreat to Laos' ancient capital Luang Prabang. In this retreat we refine and beautify our cover art with asana, creating a strong and radiant vehicle so the story of our lives flows with ease, fearlessness and grace.
The Anusara yoga sessions focus on aligning the body optimally to heal, grow and ultimately open to something bigger than ourselves. In each of the five days we’ll playfully expound on each of the five Anusara Universal Principles of Alignment™ (UPAs) in challenging, yet spaciously accessible practices. The UPAs are:
1. Set the Foundation, Open to Grace
2. Muscular Energy
3. Expanding Spiral
4. Contracting Spiral
5. Organic Energy
To rewrite our story, we'll practice powerful nondual meditation and pranayama techniques to reconnect us to the Wise Author within all of us known by many names, in many traditions, as the Heart, Spirit, Consciousness and Truth.
Auspiciously, our retreat coincides with the Buddhist festival of Boun Ok Phansa, a celebration marking the end of the rainy season where monks traditionally seclude themselves in temples to study and meditate. During the Boun Lai Heua Fai (Festival of Lights) celebrations, the following day after Boun Ok Phansa, the locals float candle-lit offerings down the river, while different villages try to outdo one another decorating boats for friendly races to chase away the mythical snake deity, the Naga, reclaiming the land and the fields after the rains. It is one of the most magical times to be in Laos.
Please book early to reserve your spot and good flights during this festival time.
The ancient town of Luang Prabang is a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Laos. Located 700 metres above sea level in northern Laos, it’s encircled by mountains at the confluence of the Nam Khan and Mekong Rivers.
- It’s the cool and dry season!
- Two dynamic Anusara workshop-style sessions daily
- Stronger backbends, inversions and arm balances in the morning
- Cooling forward bends, hip openers and restoratives in the evening
- A daily morning pranayama, meditation and contemplation session
- Continued quiet contemplation or dynamic exploration (material for your story!)
- Boun Ok Phansa and Boun Lai Heua Fai (Festival of Lights) on 13th and 14th October
- Visit Wat Xieng Thong (a temple built in 1560) and the many Temples along the peninsula and marvel at the lanterns on the peninsula along the Mekong
- Tak Bat (Alms giving), a parade of monks walk past Sanakeo each morning at around 6.15am
- Hike up Mount Phousi (Sacred Mountain) and watch the Sunset over Luang Prabang and the Mekong
- Journey back in time taking leisurely walks through the old quarter
- Visit the Royal Palace Museum
- Explore the colourful morning and night markets
- Learn about Lao handicraft and textiles at the Ock Pop Tok Living Craft Centre and Passa Paa, a textile studio that merges traditional Hmong handicraft with a modern print aesthetic
Retreat price per person based on room type:
(32 sqm, Pool View, Balcony/Terrace)
Early bird (by 9 August 2019 )
Twin/Double: $835 per person
Single: $1,150 per person
Twin/Double: $935 per person
Single: $1,250 per person
(38 sqm, Garden View, Balcony/Terrace)
Early bird (by 9 August 2019 )
Twin/Double: $895 per person
Single: $1,270 per person
Twin/Double: $995 per person
Single: $1,370 per person
Retreat price includes:
- Five nights' elegant accommodation at Sanakeo Boutique Hotel and Spa
- Double/twin or single accommodation in Classic or Deluxe Room
- Yoga and dedicated use of yoga room for the group
- Complimentary airport transfers
- Welcome drink on arrival
- Use of swimming pool and fitness centre
- Complimentary shuttle service to the town centre available from 9.30am to 9.30pm
- Bicycles for exploration or a quick ride into the town
- Daily Western and Asian continental breakfast
- Complimentary wireless internet access in your room and in public areas
- Coffee and tea making facilities in the room
Retreat price excludes:
- Airfare to Luang Prabang, Laos
- Tourist Visa fee on arrival (where applicable)
Optional group or individual activities:
- Sunset cruise along the Mekong
- Kuang Si Waterfall
- Pak Ou Caves
- Join a cooking class
Notes on registration and logistics:
- Please ask Shirley if you have any questions.
- Do register early to secure your flight, room and the type of accommodation you would prefer as airfares will most likely increase fast during festival season.
- Regarding flights, please plan to arrive before 4pm on 12 October as we will begin our retreat in the evening. For early arrivals, you may keep your luggage at the reception and begin your exploration till the room is ready for check in. The retreat ends with an early sunrise yoga practice on the 17 October and you will have the room till check out.
- Bring your yoga friends along to share your room! Shirley will, however, help coordinate twin room sharing if you are coming alone.
- Full payment is due upon registration to reserve a room due to festival high demand.
- Payment by cash or credit card at Hom Yoga studios or via credit card on the Hom Yoga Retreat Registration page.
- Kindly note that cancelations are not possible, however, you may find someone to replace you at the retreat.
- Please bring your own yoga mat and/or any props you may need along to the retreat.
- Do bring enough Lao Kip for your own personal spending. Lao Kip and USD are both accepted in the hotel. There is an additional 3% for credit card payments.
- 10% discount are available on massages and spa treatments, F&B, and laundry.
- Please check if you need a tourist visa, available on arrival.
ABOUT BO SREY
Originally from New York, Bo began his spiritual journey in the 90’s as a student in Paris where life's deeper existential questions began to challenge his beliefs about reality. Upon returning to university in the States, he changed his focus from international affairs to inner affairs, diving headlong into Eastern philosophy with renowned scholar Douglas Brooks.
His search eventually led him to a master who gave him the experience of the Awakened state described by mystics of many traditions. Auspiciously, he bumped into Professor Brooks at the same program where he met this master. He spent nearly 15 years studying with his teacher, living and serving at her meditation centers in New York, San Francisco and India. Through his teacher, he found Anusara yoga, the main style of hatha yoga that he now teaches. Anusara yoga is a method of hatha yoga known for its clear alignment principles and expansive nondual philosophy.
Bo began teaching hatha yoga in 2002, moving to San Francisco for much of his training. Continuing the journey westward (from NYC), he moved to Singapore in 2005 where he became the first certified Anusara teacher in Asia. In addition to countless hours with Anusara founder John Friend, he has also apprenticed and trained in San Francisco with Iyengar Yoga teacher Tony Briggs. He is a Yoga Alliance Experienced Registered Teacher (E-RYT 500) and Yoga Alliance Continuing Education provider. He is also approved to teach immersions and teacher trainings by the Anusara School of Hatha Yoga.
He views teaching as service. His classes, whether flowing or more static, include clear alignment instructions. In Anusara yoga classes, he weaves themes with alignment to focus the intention for the practice, always linking the themes back to the highest: Awareness.
In addition to hatha yoga classes, he also teaches pranayama and meditation, having shared his love for these practices with students in private sessions, outdoor meetups, corporate leadership events and prisons.
Since beginning the teaching journey in New York, Bo has taught at major studios in Berkeley, Singapore and Bangkok. In 2005, he moved to Singapore to join the first group of teachers at Pure Yoga. He joined Hom Yoga in 2015.
From 2008, he has had the great good fortune to be invited to travel and teach workshops, retreats, conferences and teacher trainings around the world with his wife, Shirley.
He loves to travel as most yogis seem to. He really loves immersing himself in nature hiking, running, mountain biking and photographing wildlife. He has also practiced Taekwondo, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Tai Chi.
ABOUT SHIRLEY SREY
Shirley Srey is a former licensed Anusara-Inspired yoga teacher and a dedicated student of Anusara for more than 12 years. Her in-depth study includes more than 200 teacher training hours directly with the founder, John Friend, and hundreds of teacher training and immersion study hours assisting Bo.
Shirley is also a teacher of Prajna Yoga. She completed a comprehensive teacher training with Tias Little in 2006, at the Upaya Zen Center, in Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA, and was also invited to assist Tias at a yoga conference in Hong Kong and at his Yoga Anatomy Teacher Training and Prajna Immersion in Singapore.
Currently, Shirley manages Spandananda and travels with Bo to present deeper trainings at conferences, workshops, and retreats, sharing what their teachers have taught them to students around the world.